Facts and figures
- 5,642 suicides were registered in 2022 in England and Wales.
- Suicide is the single leading cause of death for men under 50. Men are three times more likely than women to die by suicide.
- For every suicide, on average, 135 people are affected.
- According to research the economic cost of each suicide death is estimated to be around £1.67 million. Around 60–70 percent of the cost of each suicide is attributed to the impact on the quality of life of those bereaved by suicide.
- James’ Place has treated over 1,500 suicidal men since the opening of our first centre in 2018, delivering over 7,500 therapy sessions.
- We will open two new centres in England over the next three years, treating up to 2,000 men per year. Our aim is that half the male population of England will be within two hours of a James’ Place centre.
More statistics on suicide are available from the Office of National Statistics.